trouble with Fedora-9-x86_64-netinst.iso

Don Cohen don-redhat at isis.cs3-inc.com
Thu Sep 11 03:44:54 UTC 2008

I just got a HP Pavilion dv5z-1000
 AMD Athlon(TM) X2 Dual-Core Processor for Notebook PCs QL-60 (1.9GHz)
(many other specs available if that would be useful)
and tried Fedora-9-x86_64-netinst.iso

While booting I see lots of stuff scroll by too fast to record, but
just after it pauses after
  running /sbin/loader
I see what looks like a stack trace, which I've attempted to
approximate below.  After a few minutes (during which I attempt to
copy down some of the gobbledygook on the screen) I see the expected
screen asking what language.
However, I suspect that not all is well, cause after I enter return
(English), then return for the next screen (US keyboard), then select
media (I tried both URL and local cd) I get
  unable to find any devices of the type needed for this installation
  type...

The basic question is what I should do about this.

Some approximation of what was on the screen
====

[<ffffffff811ab06e>] bus_for_each_dev+...
[                  ] ? do_sync_read
[                  ] ? disable_irq
[                  ] security_file_permission
[                  ] vfs_read
[                  ] system_call_after_swapgs

Code ...
[ end of trace ...]
ohci_hcd: 2006 August 04 USB li 'open' host controller (OHCI) driver
libata version 3.00 loaded