yum update yum;yum update yum-utils; WORKS

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 09:11:47 UTC 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 18:32:16 -0700 (PDT), landon kelsey wrote:

> my yum update now show all done
>
> I was told one must do these occasionally :
>
> yum clean all
> yum clean metadata
> yum clean dbcache

Who has said that? It's nonsense, because "all" implies
"metadata dbcache packages headers". No need to run three
different commands if you want to purge everything. These
options are explained in the manual, btw.

> yum update
>
> or get nothing when there IS something to get!

"yum clean metadata" is enough to make Yum re-download the repository
metadata (instead of reusing cached data for 30 minutes). When refetching
metadata it is possible that you are assigned to a different mirror
that is more up-to-date than your previous one. There is NO guarantee
for that.