Fedora 10 (Rawhide) missing pand - UPDATED

Andrew Kenton Mitchell andrew.mitchell at wdidata.net
Thu Sep 11 16:33:10 UTC 2008

I sent a message asking for advice/help yesterday.  Sorry if I'm
burdening anybody's in box, however, I have more info and I wanted to share.

The rawhide bluez-utils package seems to be missing /usr/bin/pand.

I tried to add the --enable-pand witch and rebuild the RPM from sources
however, bluez-utils-3.36-2.fc10.src.rpm doesn't seem to want to extract
on my system.

I dug around to see if pand was provided by a differing package:

# yum whatprovides */pand
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
bluez-utils-3.36-2.fc10.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand

bluez-utils-3.36-2.fc10.i386 : Bluetooth utilities
Matched from:
Filename    : /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand
Filename    : /etc/sysconfig/pand

Then I decided to try a bluez-utils reinstall:

]# yum install bluez-utils
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package bluez-utils.i386 0:3.36-2.fc10 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

  Package              Arch          Version              Repository
    Size
Installing:
  bluez-utils          i386          3.36-2.fc10          rawhide
    483 k

Transaction Summary
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Total download size: 483 k
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
bluez-utils-3.36-2.fc10.i386.rpm

       | 483 kB     00:03
Running rpm_check_debug
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
   Installing     : bluez-utils                                       [1/1]
service bluetooth does not support chkconfig

Installed: bluez-utils.i386 0:3.36-2.fc10
Complete!

The init script error surprised me.  Does anybody know if this is a just
a bug.  Is pand being depreciated?  If so, what is the replacement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Can anybody suggest a fix or alternative?

--
Andrew Kenton Mitchell