requeueing mail (sendmail)

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Sep 11 15:02:07 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Does someone know of a nice tool to move things between mail queues such
>> that special problems can be handled, such as longer than default retry
>> for certain systems, run only at a certain time, run unlikely to work
>> stuff occasionally only, from a special q, etc.
>>
>> I can do this with some perl scripting, but the locking needed to be
>> reliable is ugly, I have to maintain it, and it will be just the minimum
>> functionality I need to solve my current problem. If there's some spiffy
>> solution I missed it would be a timesaver.
>>
> Sendmail can do it - you have to get into the more advanced
> configuration. You don't need to put the mail in separate queues -
> you can set different rules for different destinations. But you will
> probably need a Sendmail guru to set it up for you.

I could set it up if I had to, but that's not what I'm looking for. I
want the stuff in different queues, and while I might be able to do it
in sendmail using perl or similar to handle the reason messages in the
qf file is easier. I was hoping for a tool which has nice rules, a human
readable config, and logging. And it would have to be done in
sendmail.cf, so I'd have to patch every time a change in the .mc file is
made.

> You may be able to do the same with Postfix but I have never checked
> on it.

Thanks, but I'd rather have something which sits on top of an unmodified
sendmail, less likely to be broken by updates.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>