Firefox 3 in Fedora 8?

Nifty Fedora Mitch niftyfedora at niftyegg.com
Thu Sep 11 23:19:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 04:07:16PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:

> > Which begs the question as to why the 64-bit one is what gets installed
> > by default on 64-bit Fedora systems.
>
> Actually, it raises the question.  And the answer is probably because it's
> easily possible to set up a 64-bit only Fedora system without any 32-bit
> libraries or software.

Possible yes, easily I am not so sure.

It is true that it is closer today than it was a couple years ago
but how does the phrase go..  "Close but no cigar".

The closest to a pure 64 bit system I know is a Gentoo 64bit install.
Yet even there I did need some 32 bit packages... at least that was
true 18 months ago when I needed less adventure in my life and
more free time in my free time.

The Firefox issue is interesting... since we depend on external plugins
that are not open source and not 64 bit... it seems to me that building
and installing the 32bit version of Firefox makes sense.   Once cruft like
wireless sorts itself out in 64 bit land then the demand mix will change.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	Got a great hat... now whatr.