Fetchmail + Sendmail + Dovecot

Arun Shrimali arun.reso at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:54:03 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I am trying hard to setup mail solution as follows :
We already have remote server with domain name and mail setup, where we have
our website (managed by external agency). Where as, for few local users I
would like to download the mails to these users ( at the same time few other
users will be able to access their mails directly from the remote server, as
they are roaming) .

Our local users are behind proxy (squid + NCSA authentication) and firewall,
thus could not directly access to any external IP.

Local users can also check their mails through squid and web mail client.
But to avoid excessive load on our thin net connectivity, I would like to
setup intermediatery server, which download mails from our remote mail
server for selective users.

In the above scenario I am working on setting up Fetchmail + Sendmail +
Dovecot + squirrel mail (hope I have choosen the right combination)
After googling too much I could not any HOWTO of such kind.

How should I configure Sendmail when I am fetching mails from another mail
server ??
How should /etc/resolv.conf looks like in this case ??
How should I configure SMTP ??

thanks

Arun