What is gvfs-fuse-daemon?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:05:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> For the first time I noticed that there is a file system on my disk
> called gvfs-fuse-daemon. It seems to exist concurrently with
> my /dev/sda3 partition in the same disk space. What is this and what is
> its significance?

gvfs  is meant to be the next iteration of the functionality that
gnomevfs provided.

fuse is a mechanism by which users can mount filesystems on a per-user
basis... unlike the traditional mount command which requires root
level access either through setuid or sudo or some other mechanism.

gvfs-fuse-daemon is there to bridge the two so that gvfs creates fuse
mountpoints under .gvfs in your home directory when you use the gnome
UI to mount things like remote ssh filesystems.  If you use Gnome's
Connect to Server UI to create a new mountpoint, you should get a
corresponding directory structure under .gvfs that non-gnome aware
applications and scripts can make use of.

-jef