new items not showing up on desktop

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Sep 12 17:55:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-12 at 13:46 -0400, Travis Arnold wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 22:59 -0500, charles zeitler wrote:
> >
> >> when i add items to "desktop", with konqueror or konsole,
> >> they are not displayed on the screen.
> >>
> >> is this a quirk with kde-4.1 or something else?
> >>
> > ----
> > I have termed the desktop in KDE-4.x the dead zone.
> >
> > With the 4.1 updates, you can add the widget (right click on the desktop
> > and select 'add widget'), called 'folder view' - but even that leaves
> > much to be desired.
> >
> > On KDE 4, the 'Desktop' has definitely changed personality
> >
> > Craig
> >

> When you say changed personality what does that mean?  I see the folder
> within a larger back ground...where as gnome it seems to be the physical
> border of the screen?  Is that correct?
----
clearly I cannot articulate the changes in a way that will make you
understand and unfortunately, I don't think KDE has adequately done this
either. You may wish to read through this...

http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.1/

But what is troubling you is that you are expecting the KDE Desktop to
remain a functional area where you can interact with files and that is
not the case. That's why I recommended the 'folder view' widget which
will give you limited functionality for this.

It's apparent that the KDE developers intend that they believe that the
Desktop is for widgets, applications, view space and not for file
storage.

Craig