Fetchmail + Sendmail + Dovecot

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Sep 13 16:11:51 UTC 2008

Arun Shrimali wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying hard to setup mail solution as follows :
> We already have remote server with domain name and mail setup, where we
> have our website (managed by external agency). Where as, for few local
> users I would like to download the mails to these users ( at the same
> time few other users will be able to access their mails directly from
> the remote server, as they are roaming) .
>
> Our local users are behind proxy (squid + NCSA authentication) and
> firewall, thus could not directly access to any external IP.
>
> Local users can also check their mails through squid and web mail
> client. But to avoid excessive load on our thin net connectivity, I
> would like to setup intermediatery server, which download mails from our
> remote mail server for selective users.

You can set up fetchmail to only grab specific users' accounts, and
deliver them to Sendmail running on the local server. If you want
local users to be able to send mail through this server, you will
have to change it to accept connections from the local network.

> In the above scenario I am working on setting up Fetchmail + Sendmail +
> Dovecot + squirrel mail (hope I have choosen the right combination)
> After googling too much I could not any HOWTO of such kind.

The default Dovecot configuration should work just fine.

> How should I configure Sendmail when I am fetching mails from another
> mail server ??
It depends - do you want it to accept mail from users on the local
network? You will have to configure it to use the proxy, as well as
using you web host's server as its relay host.

> How should /etc/resolv.conf looks like in this case ??

If you can access the Internet using host hames now, you will not
have to make any changes.
> How should I configure SMTP ??

Local users should probably ge configured to point to the local mail
server. The external server can stay the way it is.

Part of the reason you did not find a specific HOWTO is because you
configure Dovecot and Squirrel mail by themselves. Your Fetchmail
configuration and your Sendmail configuration overlap slightly. The
hardest job will be configuring Sendmail to use the proxy, and any
security it needs when connecting to your external mail server.

Mikkel