Help for managing UIDs on external drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sat Sep 13 16:20:16 UTC 2008

Laurent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone explain, or point me to the documentation,  the process
> which mounts a USB key or an external USB hard drive.
>
> I have an external device formatted with ext3. When plugged in, it is
> automatically mounted, with respect to files' UIDs, GIDs, etc. The
> problem is that those IDs no dot match the running system ones, and
> therefore most of the information on the external drive is not
> readable.
> I'd like to be able, either to have the HD mounted without
> consideration of IDs (e.g. my UID/GID for all), or to map the external
> device's ID to host system users.
>
> I do not want to change anything on the external HD (e.g. recursive chown).
> I have full access to the system (root)
>
> I use Fedora 9, freshly installed 2 weeks ago, not broken yet.
>
> Thank you for any help
> Cheers
The mounting is controlled by HAL. But I do not think what you are
after can be done. I have not seen any option when mounting an
ext2/3 file system that will allow you to ignore or remap UIDs and
GIDs. You may want to consider remapping the user/group IDs on your
Fedora system to match the drive, especially if you are using it to
move data between systems. Check out the usermod command.

Mikkel