sound control alsa, webcam Logitech QuickCam and skype with fedora 9

Petar Mijatovic petar.mijatovic at web.de
Sun Sep 14 00:37:39 UTC 2008

Hello together,

can you help me:

1. the sound control alsa or oss don't works properly on my Fedora 9.
-> with actual kernel 2.6.26.3-14.fc8 the sound control don't work.
Arch. x86_64

->Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device /dev/dsp can't be opened (Invalid argument)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.

->ALSA 1.0.16
->The kmix shows only mic and auto gain control ?
(PulseAuddio Volume Control funtionate not properly)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Unknown device a002
        Memory at fa100000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
        Capabilities: [60] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+ Queue=0/0 Enable-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
        Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
        Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

-> with the older  kernel 2.6.24.7-92.fc8 (my first install of fedora 9)
Arch. x86_64
The sound control worked after  first install with alsa.
After install of updats the sound control don't work or after several reboots only with OSS.

2. Also I have problems with skype and the sound control. How to make it work?

3. Where I can get the "driver" for my webcam "Logitech QuickCam Messenger"

Thank You.

Petar