fedora-list Digest, Vol 55, Issue 100

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 14 06:06:40 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-13 at 13:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> Rejecting on a quoted/new threshold would certainly discourage
> excessive quoting, but deciding on the magic number would not be easy.

Well, a 90:1 ought to get digest posts and not be a problem to others.
Something high would be fairly effective.

> As with all rule-based solutions, there are bound to be exceptions and
> the only way to handle them would be with a moderator

For the extreme cases, perhaps.  But when a message bounces saying
you're quoting far more than your saying, and offering hints (i.e. quote
less, summarise a post instead of quote it, etc.), you have the chance
to modify your post and retry.

Some automatic systems don't just count quoted versus new, they look to
see if the new is interspersed.  In that case, a higher ratio of
quoted:new might be allowed.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686