How do I run only one instance of a program

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 00:19:02 UTC 2008

Dear fellow Fedora users,

I have a little problem when starting KDE.  I have multiple versions of gkrellm running at the same time, and I configured it to "not run multiple instances".  When I run top, I see several gkrellm(s), how do I prevent this?

I have run this for a while and it is getting tiring

$ killall -9 gkrellm
$ gkrellm &

to get gkrellm to run only once, but it is getting tiring and there is no more easy to do it like before ~/.kde/Autostart where gkrellm was at one point it is no longer there :(

Please offer a suggestion/fix for this.  If no solution is offered, I am tempted to create a script that does this so I can avoid the typing :)

#!/bin/bash
#
killall -9 gkrellm
gkrellm &