yum question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Sep 15 00:23:15 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 11:29:49PM -0400, Mail Lists wrote:
>>>    If there are available updates - it would be nice to know what the
>>> changes are - ie show the changelog of the update - is there an option
>>> in yum to show the changelog ? Or must we download the rpm and query it
>>> by hand ?
>> If you have the "yum-utils" package installed, you can use the
>> "repoquery" command to read information from the repositories without
>> installing or downloading full packages:
>>
>> repoquery --verbose --changelog <package_name> | less
>
> There is also a yum-changelog package which adds a --changelog option
> to yum.  The output looks something like this:
>
> # yum --changelog update
> [...]
> Setting up Update Process
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package audit-libs.i386 0:1.7.5-1.fc9 set to be updated
> ---> Package audit-libs-python.i386 0:1.7.5-1.fc9 set to be updated
> ---> Package audit.i386 0:1.7.5-1.fc9 set to be updated
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>
> Changes in packages about to be updated:
>
> audit-libs-1.7.5-1.fc9.i386, audit-1.7.5-1.fc9.i386, audit-libs-python-1.7.5-1.fc9.i386
> * Mon Aug 25 18:00:00 2008 Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> 1.7.5-1
> - Update system-config-audit to 0.4.8
> - Whole lot of bug fixes - see ChangeLog for details
> - Reimplement auditd main loop using libev
> - Add TCP listener to auditd to receive remote events

It doesn't seem to work with "yum --changelog check-update" which would be
useful because I could run it overnight and pick changes which are critical on a
given system, but certainly check-update and repoquery can be linked by a small
script which will do the job.

Many thanks for pointing this out, it slipped by me, and perhaps a lot of others
as well.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>