LAN question

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 15 05:25:02 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 11:56 PM, Paul Newell <pnewell at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Fedora:
>>
>> Before I switched to F9, all my FC5 machines were happily chatting with each
>> other through a Linksys WRT54GL but none of them could see the net. I
>> upgraded one of them to F9 and it sees the net and can ssh to the others.
>> But the other two machines can no longer ssh into it F9 system. I tried to
>> play with things to fix it, but the best I could do was kill the network
>> connection so that the F9 system can't see the other machine or the net. In
>> other words, I screwed up. Since I can't figure out how to get the network
>> back alive by restoring prior conditions, I am resigned to yet another
>> re-install (the price of learning is lots of starting over...)
>>

> For lack of time, I am abandoning the remaining information that you
> provided, sorry.
>
> Here is my suggestion...
>
> If you have GUI on that F9 box, install one of the many GUI firewall
> editing tools like firestarter, and use it to enable port forwarding,
> and likely network translation -- this assumes that the F9 box uses a
> different interface and IP to get to the internet than the one it uses
> to connect to the rest of the LAN, generally speaking you need two
> network cards for that.
>
> If you do not have GUI on that box, you'll have to read up on IPTABLES
> so you can set up the above manually.
>
> Have each of the other machines use than F9 box as their network gateway.
>
> This is a typical, relatively easy setup which should allow all the
> machines to have basic access to the internet and to each other.
>
> If this F9 machines happens to be a server, you may want to consider
> using Centos 5.2 on it instead.

Arthur:

Thanks for the reply ... as could be expected I need to do a bit of
research-and-discovery on what you have suggested to understand the
proposed solution.

I did want to add the following in case it makes any difference in your
advice. My plan is to convert all the FC5 machines to F9 once I am
confident in the F9 machine and my understanding of it. None of the
machines are servers, they are three independent workstations that just
need to ssh/scp/"s-etc" to each other. I would hope that each could
independently access the internet and each other.

Paul