FireFox 3 EULA

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Mon Sep 15 11:13:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Do you mean you see the EULA every time you login (I don't),
> or do you mean once in the lifetime of Fedora-9, when you install Firefox?

With the official FireFox 3 installer from Mozilla, you get a EULA the
first time you start FireFox.  And I understand that Ubuntu does the same
(which is what the debate on LaunchPad is about).

Does Fedora 9 remove the EULA from the package?  If so, what is the legal
position on removing the EULA whilst keeping the trademarked FireFox
branding?

> but it seems to me that only a pedant would worry about that.

How so?  I choose to use Fedora because I believe in Free software, and
that as a user I should have the ability to do whatever I want with the
software (within the confines of the law).  An EULA is an artificial
restriction on the user's freedoms (if it is at all enforcable).  At the
point where we allow certain freedoms to be removed, we may as well give
up on the whole idea of Free software, surely?

  - Steve