Enable updates for a single user

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Sep 15 15:08:48 UTC 2008

Vincenzo Campanella wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I have a PC running Fedora 9 that I have to lend to a customer for a
> limited period.
>
> I would like him to be able to install updates and to install and remove
> programs without giving him the root password.
>
> Is it possible, and if it is what do I have to do?
>
> Thanks in advance for your replies.
> vince

Take a look at the /etc/pam.d directory. You can modify the rules
for pup or yumex to let the console user, a specific user, or
members of a group run them without having to enter the root
password. For example, you could set up pup like this:

#%PAM-1.0
auth            sufficient      pam_console.so
auth            include         config-util
account         include         config-util
session         include         config-util

This will let whoever is logged into the console run pup. (Do updates.)

#%PAM-1.0
auth           sufficient      pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
auth            include         config-util
account         include         config-util
session         include         config-util

This will limit pup to members of the wheel group.

It is worth learning how to configure PAM for cases like this.

Mikkel