FireFox 3 EULA

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 20:35:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen
<kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Thanks, so basically all your saying is that this is OT.

I care far less about whether such a conversation is OT for this list
as compared to making sure that the 'right' people are holding the
'right' conversations in the 'right' places to increase the chances of
progress on the issues of web service integration.  I think I have a
good idea of what the 'right' conversation needs to be.. and I'm
equally sure I'm the 'wrong' person and this is the 'wrong' place.

A fedora specific discussion about the broader issues of how to
integrate web services is essentially self-indulgent navel gazing and
ultimately not as constructive at actually addressing the larger
issues.  We will of course deal with the case by case Fedora specific
implementations if and when we must. But if there is a desire to get
ahead of the problem and see best practises developed then that has to
be done in a way that incorporates other stakeholders, including peer
distributions as well as service providers and not just our point of
view.

How many Gnome developers who are playing around with web service
hooks in the Online desktop are here reading this list? How many other
distributions who are going to be dealing with the same exact issues
concerning where to draw the line on what is appropriate for
on-by-default web service license terms notification? How many
potential service providers are reading this list?   I think
Freedesktop has a track record of being the place to facilitate these
sorts of discussions in other areas (though admittedly more technical
areas), so it makes sense to me that it be the place to have this
particular discussion.

-jef