Anaconda bug when resizing NTFS partition?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 03:15:26 UTC 2008

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this but I ran into an issue
installing F9 on my wife's laptop. During the NTFS partition resizing
process the progress bar went back and forth rapidly and there was no disk
activity. After going to the console and checking 'top' I noticed that
anaconda and Xorg were eating up all the CPU and leaving nothing for
ntfsresize. I 'renice'd Anaconda and Xorg to 19 and ntfsresize to 1 and it
made progress but it was still very slow.

In the end everything worked out fine but if I was a novice it would have
been a very frustrating (well actually it was) and BAD user experience. Can
the installer be modified in some way to prevent this from happening or is
this just a plain old bug?

The system is a HP/Compaq Presario V5000 with an AMD Turion ML-32 1.8GHz and
ATI Radeon M200 chipset.

Thanks,
Richard