Removing System Consoles from Fedora

Bob Barrett bobbrrtt at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 16 17:17:20 UTC 2008

Mike Burger wrote:
>> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 09:11 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
>>
>>> As I said...I don't agree with it...I'm just saying that I understand
>>> the thinking behind it.
>>>
>> Sorry, but I think you don't. You might want to read Alan Cox's message
>> on the fedora-test list:
>> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2008-September/msg00314.html
>> which indicates that the motivation is much more to do with cleaning up
>> code and APIs. I fact security isn't mentioned.
>>

> Now, I'm going to have to go back to the archives, and reread the start of
> this thread.  I thought that the original poster was asking about doing
> so, not about the developers looking to do so.
>
> If I missed something in that, and that was not the original poster's
> question, then I stand corrected.

The OP asked the question:

  "What is the point of removing the System Consoles?"

after referencing:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Issue143

Quote:

  At this point Colin Walters set off a firestorm of complaints and
  queries when he announced[9], as an aside, that "[w]e're going to be
  removing the legacy non-X system consoles by default in the long run."

This appears to be related to kernel modesetting, also referenced by
this link in the same news letter:

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting

Quote:

  "...makes Fedora feel more like a polished, professional product."

More like MS Windows, maybe?

Bob