Fedora 9: yum problem with nss and/or Python?

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 20:21:40 UTC 2008

Greetings.  We've got a number of Fedora 9 systems at work, and most of
them seem now to be stable regarding yum updates.  But on one of the
systems we're getting an error trying to do a "yum update":

    [root at mysys ~]# yum -y update
    There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
    required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

       /lib/libnss3.so: undefined symbol: et_sgn_DigestInfoTemplate,
       version NSS_3.2

    Please install a package which provides this module, or
    verify that the module is installed correctly.
    .
    .
    .

We did find that four yum-related packages were out of date on the
system in question.  We downloaded them "by hand" from one of the
mirrors and force-installed them:

    yum-3.2.19-3.fc9.noarch.rpm
    yum-packagekit-0.2.5-1.fc9.i386.rpm
    yum-fastestmirror-1.1.16-1.fc9.noarch.rpm
    yum-utils-1.1.16-1.fc9.noarch.rpm

That didn't help.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions about
this.  I've appended some more details about the system.

Thanks.

-- Mike

[root at mysys ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)

[root at mysys ~]# yum -y update
There was a problem importing one of the Python modules
required to run yum. The error leading to this problem was:

   /lib/libnss3.so: undefined symbol: et_sgn_DigestInfoTemplate, version
NSS_3.2

Please install a package which provides this module, or
verify that the module is installed correctly.

It's possible that the above module doesn't match the
current version of Python, which is:
2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jun 15 2008, 18:24:51)
[GCC 4.3.0 20080428 (Red Hat 4.3.0-8)]

If you cannot solve this problem yourself, please go to
the yum faq at:
  http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq

[root at mysys ~]# rpm -qa | grep yum | sort
yum-3.2.19-3.fc9.noarch
yum-fastestmirror-1.1.16-1.fc9.noarch
yum-metadata-parser-1.1.2-8.fc9.i386
yum-packagekit-0.2.5-1.fc9.i386
yum-updatesd-0.9-1.fc9.noarch
yum-utils-1.1.16-1.fc9.noarch

[root at mysys ~]# rpm -qa | grep ^python | sort
python-2.5.1-26.fc9.i386
python-crypto-2.0.1-12.1.i386
python-dateutil-1.2-2.fc9.noarch
python-genshi-0.5-1.fc9.i386