32bit vs 64bit

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 01:49:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Henning Larsen <hennlar at start.no> wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 21:29 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > Henning Larsen writes:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have 32 and 64bit pc's with f9, I believe 32bit is less troublesome,
> > > Is there any big loss in speed running 32bit f9 on 64bit cpu?
> >
> > There's some speed penalty. Native 64 bit application benefit from having
> > more 64 bit registers on the CPU.
> >
> > > Is 32bit more stable than 64bit?
> >
> > Define "stable". If "does a 64 bit kernel crash more often than a 32 bit
> > kernel", the answer is no. 64 bit is on the parity with 32 bit when it
> comes
> > to general stability.
> >
> > Now, when it comes to non-free binary blob device drivers, the
> availability
> > of non-free binary blobs is somewhat better for 32 bit than for 64 bit.
> > my knowledge, there is no 64 bit version of a browser Flash plugin.
> >
> > If you do not need Flash, and you do not use non-free binary blob device
> > drivers, 64 bit will work just as well as 32 bit.
> >
> > --
>
> Ok that's the problem, I want flash, I wait and see if someone fix that.
> ?????
>
> Henning

It's not much more work to get flash working. I have it working on two F8
64bit systems and two F9 64 bit systems. Install the adobe-linux yum repo to
get flash (and keep it updated). Make sure you install the i386 package of
nspluginwrapper as it doesn't appear to be installed by default but you need
both.

Richard