How to conceal userid/passwords in php classes

Don Russell fedora at drussell.dnsalias.com
Wed Sep 17 02:06:10 UTC 2008

I have some php classes I use for accessing mySQL databases on localhost.
Somewhere in there, I have the mySQL userid/password so the php script can
access the data.

What is the normal practice for concealing that type of information? Keeping
classes in /usr/share/php seems to imply they need to be "world readable",
especially if they are going to be used by CLI scripts as well as web page
scripts.

This is on my home machine, it's not like I'm trying to protect a million
credit card numbers or anything like that. But, I am interested in being
"security aware"...

Thanks for any tips/pointers.