Alarm programs - recommendations wanted

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Sep 17 13:33:58 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> Having decided that there's no application out there that can manage
> both my calendar/time management *and* my reminder/alarm requirements
> I've decided to look for a dedicated alarm program.  My requirements
> are:-
>
>     Must run in the background or be driven by cron so that alarms
>     will appear regardless of what I'm doing (I will be running an X
>     desktop but that's the only guaranteed thing, actually not quite, Firefox
>     is always running too).
>
>     When an event is due I want to be able to pop up daily reminders
>     from a specified number of days before the event and to be able to
>     stop them when I have 'done' what is required.  I'd like the
>     pop-up (flag, whatever) to be permanent until I acknowledge it,
>     something like an icon in the Gnome Panel would be OK.
>
>     Events need to be specified by date, time of day is unlikely to be
>     significant.  For most things a yearly repeat would be fine (e.g.
>     a 'birthday' type reminder), I also have several which are
>     quaterly but I'm prepared to deal with them by setting up four
>     annual reminders if necessary.
>

> Kalarm seems to fulfil most of my criteria - any other ideas?  Is
> there something more 'Gnome friendly' or generic maybe?
>
> A PIM or groupware application which can do this might be of interest
> but I will *not* be running it all the time so note the first
> criterion above.

I use "remind" because it also can do useful things like generate paper
calendars, handle things like election day (tuesday after the first Monday in
November), and generate ASCII, HTML, or Postscript output. It can not only
remind you of birthdays, but tell you how old the person is, and quarterly
things are a one-line description.

I've been using it for years, and I have a meeting input file, holidays, family
birthdays, league competition days, all in separate files so I can merge and
generate custom calendars.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>