Alarm programs - recommendations wanted

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 17 15:00:17 UTC 2008

Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 02:33pm on Wednesday, September 17, 2008 (UK time), Bill Davidsen scrawled:
>
>> I use "remind" because it also can do useful things like generate paper
>> calendars, handle things like election day (tuesday after the first Monday
>> in November), and generate ASCII, HTML, or Postscript output. It can not
>> only remind you of birthdays, but tell you how old the person is, and
>> quarterly things are a one-line description.
>>
>> I've been using it for years, and I have a meeting input file, holidays,
>> family birthdays, league competition days, all in separate files so I can
>> merge and generate custom calendars.
>
> Another vote for remind - although I only use it to email me the next
> day's reminders rather than as an interactive "pop-up" application.  But
> the configurability is brilliant, allowing for count-downs to events,
> calculation of moon phases for my latitude and longitude, and any other
> number of things.
>
> But then I'm a mutt devotee also.
>
> Steve

I am another remind user. I like the fact that I can have one file
with all the holidays and such, and then each user can have their
own specific events, and link include the system folder. (INCLUDE
/usr/share/remind/remind) I have a .reminders file in /etc/skel that
just has the INCLUDE so that users do not have to figure out where
it is. I have a monthly cron job that mails the HTML calendar to
each user. Including quite a few that do not use the system, but
have get it on another e-mail account. As you said, you can also get
daily or weekly reminders. I have modified the scripts so they only
produce the output for one user, so they can use it in their own
cron job. Some people want the daily or weekly e-mails, and some do not.

You also have the option of putting the system calendar up as a web
page - great for an internal web server.

Like Steve, I do not use the pop-up alarm function, so you will have
to see if that meets your needs. There is also the a GUI that will
display the calendar, as well as let you add events. It also lets
you set the pop-up options, have it e-mail you the reminders if the
pop-up program is killed. You can also have it show you the days
events when you start it.

Mikkel