kvm and non-nat networking

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Sep 17 20:07:07 UTC 2008

Can somebody point me to the correct method of configuring kvm
virtualization so that the guest OS (Windows XP in my case) appears as a
simple IP address on the host LAN (participating in local subnet
broadcasts, etc)?

I have kvm running now in the default mode, which implements NAT / DHCP.
It works great, except I have some stupid Windows apps that need to
communicate with stupid network appliances on the main LAN. They need to
appear as same-subnet devices to the Windows apps.

There is a little too much info out there about kvm/qemu networking,
most of which is obsolete. Pointers appreciated!

- Mike