Removing System Consoles from Fedora

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Sep 17 20:56:29 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:

> Having spent some time running X on OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Fedora, and now SUSE 11,
> I am convinced that using X on any of these platforms enables exploits that
> cannot be disabled.  You cannot have both security and X. Take your pick. I do
> not log in as root in X for any reason since there are ways in X to listen in
> on keyboard communications and capture passwords. So far as I have been able to
> tell, this is not possible with non-X console io.

This is much harder to do with current versions of X. Unless you
disable authorization, the X server will only talk to programs
started by the user logged into the console. This includes logging
into the cli as the user. (It is possible to do it as the user, or
root, with some extra work.)

As for reading a cli keyboard, you may want to look at the keybdev
as well as the different keyboard drivers. I am not sure if it would
be easier to modify one the keyboard drivers, or interface with
keybdev - both look promising.

Mikkel