Easiest way to move my installation to my new laptop ? Cloning the drive ?

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Sep 18 02:37:25 UTC 2008

linuxguy writes:

> My laptop has quit.   I am getting a new one.   My old laptop has a 32
> bit Intel processor.   My new laptop has a dual 64 bit AMD processor, as
> well as different peripherals.
>
> What is the easiest way to move my current installation to the new
> machine ?
>
> Is there a way to clone the current hard drive to the new hard drive and
> then force an update to all the hardware dependent files ? (ie kernel,
> etc ?)

Cloning the hard drive is possible. However, there is no defined upgrade
path from a 32 bit system to a 64 bit system. Of course, you can continue to
run a 32 bit Fedora build on your 64 bit CPU. You won't get the advantages
of running 64 bit code, but a 32 bit Fedora will boot just fine on a 64 bit
CPU.

As far as how to get data off your old laptop drive, I heard that there's a
great gadget out there called "Google", that can help you find this stuff
out right away, without waiting for someone on a mailing list to help you.
About 30 seconds of Googling turned up the following article, which tells
you everything you need to do:

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5160538.html