32bit vs 64bit

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Thu Sep 18 11:52:13 UTC 2008

On 09/17/2008 10:24 AM, Bingo wrote:
> Read this for a comparison in performance for 32 bit, and 64 bit
> linux:
> http://bingouv.blogspot.com/2008/08/desktop-linux-performance-comparison32.html
> .
>
> To summarize, you will notice the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit
> for CPU intensive tasks. But it won't change the world. This
> comparison is based on Fedora-9.
I've been around the 64-bit world for a long time (digital Unix on
Alpha).  Working with the x86 and x86_64 families, I've found that many
applications certainly perform better at 64-bit applications, but I have
also seen many cases where  32-bit application may perform better than
the same application in 64-bits.. In general, a 64-bit OS will support
both 32-bit and 64-bit apps, and some 32-bit apps will perform better
with a 64-bit OS on x86_64. (Itanium is a different story and I won't go
there).

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846