Fedora 9 - networking not functioning properly

Aaron Gray aaronngray.lists at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:24:40 UTC 2008

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 09:06:19PM +0100, Aaron Gray wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Fedora 9 installed and updated some time ago. I once booted it up
>> without the network cable installed and not networking is not functioning
>> properly. Ping works but DNS and HTTP do not.
>>
>> Anyone know whats wrong ?
>>
>> Otherwise I will have to reinstall fom scratch !
>>
>> Many thanks in advance,
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>> --
>
> Hi Aaron,
>
> have you checked iptables? did you ping a domain name or just ip's?
> have you tried lynx and/or firefox for http?

Hi Patrick,

I tried FF to start with, no joy.

Then logged in as root and tried '/sbin/service network restart', that all
looked okay.

Then ping'ed 192.168.0.1, that was okay.

Then tried 'nsloookup www.google.com'

and 'whois www.google.com'

Both failed.

I am getting a 'network' symbol up on the top right of gnome next to my name
with a red and white cross.

Clicking on it gives me a grayed out "Wired Network" option.

Firewall rules look okay as far as I can tell.

Thanks,

Aaron