Easiest way to move my installation to my new laptop ? Cloning the drive ?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Sep 18 21:04:14 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>
>> My job requires me to do this quite often.
>>
>> Others have talked about backup/restore, but the easiest way is to put
>> the old drive into the new system.
>>
>> On F9
>>
>> In the new system with old drive, or on the old system before moving the
>> drive, boot into rescue mode:
>>
>> at the prompt:
>>
>> rm /mnt/sysimage/etc/udev/rules.d/*persistant*
>> /mnt/sysimage/etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>
>> exit
>>

>> That will eliminate MOST of the hardware configurations, and they will
>> be rediscovered.
>>
>> You may or may not need to run system-config-display after booting from
>> the drive.  F9 versions of the X server do not 'need' /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> to run, but may need it to run properly.
>>
>> That is a 10 minute exercise vs the 3-8 hours for the backup/restore
>> method.
>>
>> Having said that, there may be valid reasons to spend the time, and
>> backups are ALWAYS a good thing.  YMWV
>>
>> Good Luck!
>>

> Don't forget about rebuilding the initrd if the driver for your hard
> drive controller changes. (I had this happen with PATA controllers.)
>
> Mikkel

here is what I use -- also from rescue -- F9 only -- when I know the
controller may be different -- probably overkill:

after chroot to /mnt/sysimage

#!/bin/sh

kernel=`ls /boot/vmli* | awk -F\- '{printf("%s-%s\n", $2,$3)}'`
initrd="/boot/initrd-${kernel}.img"
rm $initrd
/sbin/mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=ahci --preload=libata
--preload=jbd --preload=ohci-hcd --preload=uhci-hcd
--preload=scsi_wait_scan --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
--preload=sd_mod --preload=pata_amd --preload=ata_generic
--preload=pata_cs5536 --preload=pata_acpi $initrd $kernel
#