[OT] Mysql advice

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 19 15:18:05 UTC 2008

I have a funky problem that I hope someone can help me with.  I've got a
mysql data running (on FC6, sadly) on a system where the root password
was changed a few days ago.  Used to, I could just enter 'mysql' at root
and could get into the mysql command line.

I went in an changed the root password in mysql to reflect the changed
root password and edited .my.cnf to the new password, but now when I'm
in root and type 'mysql' I get this:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

I know the root pwd in mysql is correct as our databases are working
just fine on it.

The reason I have a problem with this is because I'm trying to install a
Zenoss RPM I built for FC6 and on startup Zenoss inits it's DB and
tables, but it can't because it can't login as the root user.

How do I fix this?  I'm sure it's something silly, but I've googled
until I can't take it any more.

Ideas?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support