[OT] Mysql advice

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Fri Sep 19 17:33:23 UTC 2008

Chris G wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 11:18:05AM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> I have a funky problem that I hope someone can help me with.  I've got a
>> mysql data running (on FC6, sadly) on a system where the root password was
>> changed a few days ago.  Used to, I could just enter 'mysql' at root and
>> could get into the mysql command line.
>>
>> I went in an changed the root password in mysql to reflect the changed root
>> password and edited .my.cnf to the new password, but now when I'm in root
>> and type 'mysql' I get this:
>>
>> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
>> password: YES)
>>
>> I know the root pwd in mysql is correct as our databases are working just
>> fine on it.
>>
>> The reason I have a problem with this is because I'm trying to install a
>> Zenoss RPM I built for FC6 and on startup Zenoss inits it's DB and tables,
>> but it can't because it can't login as the root user.
>>
>> How do I fix this?  I'm sure it's something silly, but I've googled until I
>> can't take it any more.
>>
> Why not initially try getting mysql to ask for the password when you
> log in, e.g.:-
>
>     mysql -u root -p
>
> ... and it will ask for the password for user 'root' in mysql.  I'm
> just wondering if you mis-typed the password when you changed it in
> mysql (I always find the syntax for doing it confusing).  At least if
> you do the above you can have a few guesses at what you might have
> entered.

Nope, the password is the correct password when I do that.  That's not
my problem.  Really, that in itself /isn't/ a problem.  The problem
stems from the fact that zenoss wants to be able to automatically have
root access to mysql to setup the db it uses for monitoring.  And
because it simply can't enter 'mysql' at the prompt and setup it's
tables, it refuses to start correctly.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support