Updating FC8 -> FC9 is not possible from x86_64 to 32 bit

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:21:33 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 19:47 +0200, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
> I used kde on fc8 so I want to use kde also on fc9 but it doesn't seem
> to work well. Menu disappeared and so on, but after I copied my home,
> nothing works good.
>
> There are known issues about kde 4 on fc9 for which the desktop is not
> working well?

KDE 4 on F9 is a very different desktop from KDE 3.5 on previous
versions of Fedora. The version on the distro CDs is buggy, so it's
highly recommended to upgrade to at least 4.1 (using "yum upgrade").
You'll also need to relearn how to do certain things such as creating
taskbar icons etc. Not all your configuration data will convert
seamlessly so you might want to move .kde to an alternate name, then
login in again and configure afresh.

However once you've made the transition there are no major problems.

poc