ssh2

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Fri Sep 19 23:06:10 UTC 2008

roland wrote:

> Waw, this is a very exhaustive answer, and I thank you very much for this.
>
> How will have to do some reading.
> One thing is for sure, I find the known-hosts in de userdir on windows
> but there are no entries added and I do not find anywhere the dsa or rsa
> or whatever keys.
>
> I removed all the keys in /etc/ssh/ and
> indeed the keys were recreated.

Yes, that is the original problem, the host keys changed.

> But Anita continues this difficulty and Putty never did.

Anita has no "problem," it is warning you that the host has changed. Trying to
stop the warning instead of fixing the problem is like taking the battery out of
the smoke alarm instead of finding the fire!

> Must have to do something with this 3DES.

It has to do with the system being hacked.

> I don't understand how Putty can login because there aren't any entries
> in known_hosts under windows which are referring to the hosts I'm
> logging into. ???

That's why putty can't detect that there's a problem, because it doesn't have
the *correct* values, and so doesn't know that there is now an incorrect host
key machine at the end of the socket.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>