Installation of multiple Linux Instances

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Fri Sep 19 23:51:45 UTC 2008

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:40:16 +0200
Frode Petersen <fropeter at online.no> wrote:

> > This is a little bit of a pain, but it works.  I recommend using
> > virtualization when suitable, as it saves a lot of the hassle of
> > bootloader configuration.
>
> I suppose this is valid on hardware that supports virtualization, but
> not older stuff like AMD socket 939 and earlier? Wouldn't the speed loss
> be severe?

One thing you can do is go ahead and install for multi-boot, but
also install the paravirt kernel (just don't make it the default),
then if you run your main system as Dom0, you can run the other
linux partitions as paravirt systems (just need the right xen
config files and pygrub options to make the virtual system boot the
xen kernel entry in grub).

I don't do this, mind you, but I did some experiments once, and
did get it to work. (P.S. Make sure you don't try to mount any
partitions in more than one system at a time :-).