F9: Outgoing mail using "mail" doesn't work

Eric spamsink at scoot.netis.com
Sat Sep 20 12:31:15 UTC 2008

Good morning, James and Steve.

Thanks for your assistance.

I had previously verified that sendmail was running (said
"/etc/init.d/sendmail status" and got back info that both sendmail
and sm-client were running).  I had also checked /var/log/maillog and
it claimed that the email had been "stat=Send (xxxxx Message accepted
for delivery)".  However, the mail did not actually go out, and sat
in /var/spool/mqueue waiting for whatever it is that mail in
/var/spool/mqueue waits for.

The email was nothing but an empty test message ("mail
spamsink at scoot.netis.com < /dev/null") sent to me at my regular email
account, so it wasn't like I was being blocked by somebody at the
other end.  Besides, other versions of Fedora (6 and 8) that I have
running on other machines here all worked.

Then, I went and said "/etc/init.d/sendmail restart" and the test
message went right out, cleared from /var/spool/mqueue, and appeared
in my In box.  Just like it was supposed to.

I should note that I did this on two different F9 installations, one
a VMware virtual machine and the other a "real" machine.  It behaved
the same on both, and in each case, saying "/etc/init.d/sendmail
restart" fixed it, for now at least.

Sendmail was evidently wedged in some way, so that it looked like it
was running but wasn't really doing anything.  For now it appears to
be working but now I get to try to figure out what it was that made
it misbehave on two different machines.

As for MTAs, I hear you, James, about trying something besides
sendmail, and I may do that at some point, but I really don't know
much about MTAs or how to set them up so it's going to take some research.

Thanks again...