After update - no keyboard - interim solution

don vogt donvogt2001 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 14:19:23 UTC 2008

After the recent update to xorg-x11-server and xorg-x11-drv-evdev , I had no keyboard when I booted.
I was running with no xorg.conf and letting the system configure X.
After several hours of flailing around, I found a solution. I booted into mode 3 added an old xorg.conf to /etc/X11 and now it boots OK.
 The xorg.conf contains a keyboard section. I don't remember why I went to  letting the system configure itself, but I think it had something to do with the resolutions available.
 I am OK now, but I thought someone may want to know.