Updating FC8 -> FC9 is not possible from x86_64 to 32 bit

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 14:40:54 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 10:05 +0200, Ambrogio De Lorenzo wrote:
> Il giorno ven, 19/09/2008 alle 13.51 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan ha
> scritto:
>
> > KDE 4 on F9 is a very different desktop from KDE 3.5 on previous
> > versions of Fedora. The version on the distro CDs is buggy, so it's
> > highly recommended to upgrade to at least 4.1 (using "yum upgrade").
> ummm this is not a good news.
> And, before to release fedora 9, noone used KDE 4 and noone says that
> it's buggy?
> Unbelievable

We've been over that already on this list. I recommend you read the
large number of messages on this topic in the archives.

> > You'll also need to relearn how to do certain things such as creating
> > taskbar icons etc. Not all your configuration data will convert
> > seamlessly so you might want to move .kde to an alternate name, then
> > login in again and configure afresh.
> I known that Kde 4 is very different from kde3, but I'm expecting that
> something like an upgrade (kde3 -> kde4 or fedora 8-> fedora 9) should
> care of this difference.

Upgrading from one version of KDE 3.5 to the next (e.g. on F7->F8)
frequently gave problems as well, so I'm afraid this is nothing new.

> > However once you've made the transition there are no major problems.
> Well, but for one that works with a computer, the transition have to be
> as short as possible (minutes, or hours and not days and days).

Fedora is an *experimental* system. If that doesn't meet your needs or
expectations, maybe you should be using a different distro with higher
stability guarantees (CentOS, RHEL, Ubuntu, ...)

poc