Cannot find DVD drive

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Sep 21 04:44:08 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-09-20 at 12:12 +0200, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I should perhaps have mentioned that this is an ancient machine -
> I keep it running because it is the only machine I have
> with a Centronics printer socket for my HP LaserJet 5L.

A new drive would be fairly cheap, and doesn't have to be permanently
put into an older machine.  On the other hand, you could do what I did:
I bought one of those USB to parallel port adaptors, so I could use my
HP LaserJet 4L with my laptop.  It's a bit slow, but I didn't have a
range of different USB adaptors to try out at the time.

> But I was thinking that it was a pity Linux/Fedora
> does not have something like Windows "My Computer",
> where one can see at once what devices can be seen.
> Or maybe there is an equivalent?

There's a few graphical hardware browser, and there's command line tools
like lsusb, lspci, dmesg, etc.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686