DSN: Data format error

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Sep 21 11:06:37 UTC 2008

Mail Lists wrote:
>   Thinking about this more ..   when you send mail with kmail - how is
> it sending the mail ? Is it using
>
>        a) your local sendmail
>              Is this on the server in question?
>
>       b) smtp
>            to same server or somewhere else ?

It is using smtp to the same server.

>   The mail command (does not use smtp) - it runs the sendmail program
> directly. Something is likely fishy with host/local-host-name as thr
> remote end does not like what its seeing. Perhaps you can increase
> sendmai verbosity and get more info.

I think my ISP probably does not like the computer name I am using,
tim at carrie.gayleard.com .
But I'm not sure how to change this within sendmail.
I suppose sendmail gets the name by running "hostname" of the equivalent.
I suspect my ISP wants me to use his name for me, gayleard at eircom.net .
But it would cause confusion if I gave that name to all my laptops.

I guess there must be some way of specifying a host name
in sendmail.mc , but if there is I don't see it.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net