desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Sep 21 14:22:28 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 05:42:30 -0400 (EDT)
"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 07:54:13 -0400
> > "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> >
> > >    i have a fresh install of f9 on an aging dell inspiron 9200 with a
> > > full WUXGA display, and i'm trying to drive a full-res WUXGA signal
> > > into an external video processing device that is (theoretically)
> > > supposed to be able to handle that.
> >
> > Back on F7 and before, I was able to beat the X server into submission.
> > On F8 and later, it appears hopeless. After ignoring EDID info for 25
> > years, X suddenly decided to switch and ignore linux users instead :-).
>
> i'm reaching that conclusion, slowly and painfully.  and it's not
> making me a happy man.

Using EDID is normally the right thing to do or maybe you haven't been
running Linux long enough to remember things like the mode line
calculator spreadsheet 8)

If you get wrong data from EDID information then
- File a bug
- Specify HorizSync and VertRefresh
- On most drivers Option "DDC" "false"

That way you can get it working but someone can also figure out if the
monitor data is wrong, there is a bug in handling the modes or some kind
of blacklist entry is needed so it just works in future.

Alan