desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Sep 21 16:15:40 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 15:22:28 +0100
Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:

> If you get wrong data from EDID information then
> - File a bug
> - Specify HorizSync and VertRefresh
> - On most drivers Option "DDC" "false"
>
> That way you can get it working but someone can also figure out if the
> monitor data is wrong, there is a bug in handling the modes or some kind
> of blacklist entry is needed so it just works in future.

Yea, option like that were what I used to beat the server into
submission in older versions of X, but now, it utterly ignores
anything you tell it. You can't disable DDC, you can't disable
EDID, you can't specify a mode line. For like 25 years X refused
utterly to do anything useful with EDID, then in the blink of an
eye, they completely reversed things and now refuse to listen to
anything you might want to tell it that could fix a problem while
you are waiting for the developers to acknowledge a bug, fix it, and
get it into the distributed release.

The least they could do is add something like:

   Option "ITellYou" "Three" "Times"

to make it obey the manual settings from someone who can get
them correct (after doing it for the last 20 years).

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a market for an EDID
hacker box you'd stick on the DVI cable between the computer and
the monitor and plug into a USB port so you can override the
monitor's EDID settings and spit in X's eye :-).