Hibernate and boot to another OS?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 16:40:18 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-21 at 12:16 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 03:13:27 -0430
> "Patrick O'Callaghan" <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This makes absolutely no sense. Do you understand what hibernation is?
>
> Why does it make no sense? Hibernation just stores the system state
> to the swap area. As long as you have different swap areas setup for
> different systems (and don't share partitions and change things
> out from under the other system), I'd think it could work just fine
> (though be a little weird :-).

It makes no sense because the OP implies he wants to run Windows games
*while his Linux system is doing a long compile*. He seems to think
"hibernation" somehow means "shutdown and let me boot another system but
keep working anyway". It's deeply confused.

Of course he could run Windows in a VM, but many games don't work too
well in this configuration because of limited graphics. Or run Linux in
a VM under Windows, but I suspect that won't be too comfortable either.

poc