pulseaudio and mpg123

Amadeus W.M. amadeus84 at verizon.net
Sun Sep 21 20:18:55 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 16:55:58 +0000, Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> I'm trying to get mpg123 working with pulseaudio, and I followed the
> instrunctions on this page:
>
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
>
> which seems to be the authoritative documentation. I downloaded
> libao-pulse (incidentally, could there be an rpm with this?) and I
> managed to compile and install it after installing pulseaudio-libs-devel
> and libao- devel. I also put
>
> default_driver=pulse
>
> in /etc/libao.conf
>
> However, mpg123 still does not produce any sound. It does look like it's
> trying to play the file, but there's no sound. The sound isn't muted or
> anything. I can play mp3 files if I click on them in nautilus.
>
> Anyone got this working?

Actually I got it working. I had mpg123 aliased to

which mpg123
alias mpg123='mpg123 -o alsa -a plug:front:2'
	/usr/bin/mpg123

This is from when I was trying to use it with alsa, but seemed that the
device kept changing because sometimes it would work with plug:front:2
other times with plug:front:0. That's why I decided to get it to work with
pulseaudio.

Once I ran the unaliased /usr/bin/mpg123, it played fine with libao-pulse.

This pulseaudio thing might not be all that bad afterall.