desperately seeking "IgnoreEDID"

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Sep 21 21:20:23 UTC 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> Since who ever it was made the change to using EDID, I have never had
> X work the way I want it to again.
> 1. It always chooses the wrong resolution for me, this is on at least
> 5 installs on different machines
> 2. Even after you convince it to use the resolution I want, I must
> have my monitor on, again happens on all machines since this change
> was made
>
> I much rather type in a modeline once and have it work, and not have
> to worry about whether or not my monitor was on on boot.
>
> And to the original poster, sorry to chime in late, but IgnoreEDID is
> ironically ignored every time I have attempted it.

also ironically, the IgnoreEDID option *clearly* makes a difference as
you can see in the X log file, but it's just as clearly still being
processed somehow, and making a mess of things.  i had no idea what
kind of bad craziness i was getting into with what i thought was a
fairly simple problem.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.