How to archive to DVD?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Sep 22 11:19:40 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 11:32 +0100, Colin Paul Adams wrote:
> My home drive is nearly full - mostly with photos.
>
> I have created a directory named archive, and moved all the photo
> directories into it. Now I want to write the contents of that archive
> directory to a DVD (double layer - 8.5 GB). What is the easiest way to
> do this? (Fedora 9 - I use GNOME).

If you use Nautilus, the default file browser in Gnome, it can directly
burn files that you drag/copy to its "CD/DVD Creator" "place" (the files
don't actually move, it's symbolic).  You treate that place as your
staging platform for how you want the disc to be created (make
directories, if you wish, etc.).

I use it all the time for the same sort of thing you've mentioned.  I
haven't seen a reason to install additional software for burning discs
like that.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686