problems with /etc/mtab file on fedora 9

Eric Doutreleau Eric.Doutreleau at it-sudparis.eu
Mon Sep 22 12:31:53 UTC 2008

well i have the following problem on my fedora 9 machine

we have an hundred of workstation that use autofs and ldap to mount
share from an nfs server
and these workstation have a big /etc/mtab.
It seems that the /etc/mtab is not cleaned during reboot.

then at the boot the workstation try to mount 20 or more filesystem from
the nfs server even if there s none connected on it.

that s a big problem as our nfs server is overwhelmed by mount request

Has someone already seen this problem and how to solve it?

thanks in advance for any help