spec file for rpms

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Mon Sep 22 17:55:15 UTC 2008

David Hláèik wrote, On 09/22/2008 11:54 AM:
> Hi guys,
>
> i am new at this.
>
> I want to make a rpm from a program source. It does not contain rpm spec
> file by default so i need to create one.
>
> Is there any way to make creation of spec files easier? some tools etc ... ?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> David

http://freshmeat.net/projects/checkinstall/

I have used checkinstall, and it will make a 'get you going' spec file, but
the produced spec file is not very nice.

I took the one it made for me (for the software I wanted to package) and
compared it to the one that comes with the kernel from fedora, and made
changes that seemed sane.  {I understand reasonably how to do the kernel
compile by hand, so seeing how they did it in the spec file gave me clues to
how to do what I wanted.}

such changes as:
-BuildRoot: /var/tmp/XALTPlcbbmBlCXeZdMMaE/package
+BuildRoot: %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)

just before the %files entry.
+%clean
+rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

Also the fedora guidelines may point you towards filling in some things you
might not have thought about, and if you follow them might get what ever
package you are making the spec for accepted in fedora faster.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines

and in particular
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Writing_a_package_from_scratch
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Rpmdevtools

{Todd: wonders if seeing those last two links would have made life easier...}

--
Todd Denniston