spec file for rpms

John Aldrich john at chattanooga.net
Mon Sep 22 18:03:50 UTC 2008

On Monday 22 September 2008, David Hláčik wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> i am new at this.
>
> I want to make a rpm from a program source. It does not contain rpm spec
> file by default so i need to create one.
>
> Is there any way to make creation of spec files easier? some tools etc ...
> ?

David, I know it's not going to be much help, but there *are* tools to take a
tarball and create an RPM from that. It's very much specific to your machine,
so it wouldn't help to make it work on another machine, but for the purposes
of keeping your installs clean, etc, it's very useful. Unfortunately for you,
it's been so long since I've done anything, I've long since forgotten what
those utils are, so you'll have to hope someone out there has a better memory
than I! :-)